Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| "Many Happy Returns"
Series 03, Episode 00
|Air Date||24 December, 2013|
|Writer|| Mark Gatiss|
|Previous||"The Reichenbach Fall"|
|Next||"The Empty Hearse"|
Anderson meets with Lestrade in a pub and tries to convince him that a series of seemingly unconnected solved crimes that have occurred across Asia and Europe are the work of Sherlock. Anderson believes Sherlock is still alive and making his way back to the UK. Lestrade tells Anderson that he is dead.
Later, Lestrade gives John (who is no longer living in Baker Street) a box of Sherlock's belongings that had been in his office. Among them is a video Sherlock made with a birthday greeting for John on it. After Lestrade has left John sits down with a drink to watch and voices aloud his wish that Sherlock not be dead. In the birthday greeting, Sherlock tells John that he will be back very soon and he is only busy.
- Sherlock's visit to Tibet is a reference to "The Adventure of the Empty House", where Holmes mentions he met the Dalai Lama.
- The ice cream deduction is based on "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons" where Holmes solved the mystery of Abernetty family by noticing the depth to which the parsley had sunk into the butter.
- The trial of Herr Trepoff is a reference to The Trepoff murder case mentioned in "A Scandal in Bohemia".
- The yellow mask in the box from Lestrade is a reference to "The Adventure of the Yellow Face".
- According to the football results seen in the paper, Man City vs. Ajax 2-2 and Schalke vs. Arsenal 2-2, the episode takes place 7 November, 2012.
- This incident is documented in John's blog which is dated 5 October.
- The Pink phone from "A Study In Pink" is seen in the box from Lestrade.
- According to Anderson's map, after Hamburg, Sherlock is sighted in Amsterdam, and then Brussels.
- There is no jury system in Germany, it was abolished in 1924. However, Mark Gatiss mentioned on Twitter that he is aware of the lack of a jury in Germany and that's why they called it unusual circumstances.
- Rupert Graves – Greg Lestrade
- Jonathan Aris – Anderson
- Benedict Cumberbatch – Sherlock Holmes
- Martin Freeman – John Watson
External Links Edit
- ↑ "Sherlock Mini-Episode: Many Happy Returns - Sherlock Series 3 Prequel - BBC One". BBC. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- ↑ Sherlock mini episode to air on Christmas Day via BBC Red Button, Paul Jones, Radio Times, 3rd December, 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sherlock mini episode: new details and times released, Susanna Lazarus, Radio Times, 22nd December, 2013.
- ↑ Lidster, Joseph. "Many Happy Returns". BBC.
- ↑ "Mark Gatiss on Twitter". Twitter.