Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Birthday||19 July, 1976|
|Birth Place||London, England|
Cumberbatch is known for his film, television, theatre, and voice acting roles; his most acclaimed roles include: Stephen Hawking in the BBC drama Hawking (2004); William Pitt in the historical film Amazing Grace (2006); the protagonist Stephen Ezard in the miniseries thriller The Last Enemy (2008); Paul Marshall in Atonement (2007); Bernard in Small Island (2009); and Major Jamie Stewart in War Horse (2012).
He has lent his voice to both Smaug the Dragon and the Necromancer opposite Martin Freeman (who plays the lead role of Bilbo Baggins) in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. He also did the motion capture. He also portrayed the main antagonist, Khan Noonien Singh, in J. J. Abrams' Star Trek into Darkness, which was released on May 16, 2013.
Cumberbatch has expressed misgivings about the quality of fellow modern Sherlock Holmes adaption, Elementary, and wished that Jonny Lee Miller, whom he's worked with in the past, had passed on the role. He's pointed out however, though, that he's never asked Miller to not take the role, and that he remains supportive of Miller's career.
- In the summer of 2011, Danny Boyle created a National Theatre production of 'Frankenstein' in which Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller played the creator and monster and alternately changed nightly. Both actors then went on to play another Victorian creation Sherlock Holmes, both set in the present day, albeit opposite side of the Atlantic.
- He portrayed the Angel Islington in the BBC's radio play adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel Neverwhere, which co-starred Natalie Dormer and Sir Christopher Lee.
- Both Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey Jr. appeared in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as superheroes Doctor Strange and Iron Man.
- Benedict Cumberbatch on Wikipedia.
- ↑ Hawking, August 2006, bbc.co.uk
- ↑ amazinggracemovie.com
- ↑ The Last Enemy, bbc.co.uk
- ↑ Atonement, workingtitlefilms.com
- ↑ Small Island, bbc.co.uk, April 2010
- ↑ War Horse, dreamworksstudios.com
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch joins The Hobbit as Smaug, Ben Child, guardian.co.uk, Monday 20th June, 2011, 10.42 BST.
- ↑ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, IMDB.com
- ↑ Trek Into Darkness: Benedict Cumberbatch video interview - "John Harrison is a terrorist", Radio Times staff, 12:18 PM, 18 December 2012.
- ↑ Star Trek Into Darkness poster shows London in ruins Metro.co.uk, Monday 3 Dec 2012 12:48 pm.
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch ‘Cynical’ About ‘Elementary,’ Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock, BBC America
- ↑ Benedict Cumberbatch: Jonny Lee Miller Took 'Elementary' Role for the 'Paycheck', The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ Parade's End marches away with four Broadcasting Press Guild awards, Ben Dowell, guardian.co.uk, Thursday 14th, March 2013, 13.40 GMT.