| "Art in the Blood"
Season 2, Episode 23
|Air Date||8 May, 2014|
|Viewers||7.54 million (U.S.)|
|Previous||"Paint It Black"|
|Next||"The Grand Experiment"|
Sherlock Holmes and Joan Watson come into contact with MI-6, the British intelligence agency, when a run-of-the-mill murder investigation turns out to have international and political implications. Meanwhile, in the wake of a crisis, Watson re-evaluates her relationships with Sherlock and his brother, Mycroft.
- Jonny Lee Miller – Sherlock Holmes
- Lucy Liu – Joan Watson
- Aidan Quinn – Captain Thomas Gregson
- Jon Michael Hill – Detective Marcus Bell
Guest Stars Edit
- The title of this episode comes from Sherlock's observation, about himself and Mycroft, in "The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter", that "Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms." It is in reference to their grandmother having been the sister of "Vernet, the French artist", though whether this is Claude Joseph, his son (whose sister died on the guillotine during the French Revolution) or grandson is not specified.
- Sherlock said in the final scene of the first episode of this season, "Art in the blood, Watson. It takes the strangest forms." This may have been a foreshadowing.
|#01 Step Nine||#09 On the Line||#17 Ears to You|
|#02 Solve for 'X'||#10 Tremors||#18 The Hound of the Cancer Cells|
|#03 We Are Everyone||#11 Internal Audit||#19 The Many Mouths of Aaron Colville|
|#04 Poison Pen||#12 The Diabolical Kind||#20 No Lack of Void|
|#05 Ancient History||#13 All in the Family||#21 The Man With the Twisted Lip|
|#06 An Unnatural Arrangement||#14 Dead Clade Walking||#22 Paint It Black|
|#07 The Marchioness||#15 Corpse de Ballet||#23 Art in the Blood|
|#08 Blood is Thicker||#16 The One Percent Solution||#24 The Grand Experiment|